Monday, January 22, 2007

Colts, baby!


OK, I'll admit it...I have a minor football addiction. I've had it since I was a small boy. Heck, if you grow up in Nebraska, your possible addictions are kinda limited:

1. Football

2. Ditch weed

3. Barnyard animals

I think I chose the lesser of the three evils.

So, why "Colts, baby"? Well, when I was doing TV play-by-play for the University of Nebraska football team back in the early '80s, Gene Huey was the team's receivers' coach. Thanks to a few long road trips, and short nights, Gene and I became pals. Our paths have diverged...I moved to California, and he eventually landed as the running backs' coach for the Indianapolis Colts...but we've stayed friends through the years.

Get the connection?

Gene is now the longest-serving assistant coach in the history of the Colts, and I'm really pleased that he finally gets a chance to coach in the Super Bowl. He is truly one of the greatest humans on the planet (not to mention a helluva coach...just ask Marshall Faulk and Edgerrin James).

So, as we wind-up the hype machine in advance of the Indianapolis vs. Chicago Super Bowl in Miami, I simply say...Go Colts!

It's about damn time.

No comments: